Dried from a gorgeous blue flower that grows in Southeast Asia called Clitoria ternatea or Butterfly Pea, many countries have been utilizing this blue tea’s benefits and natural beauty enhancers for years. This tea, a rich blue color when steeped, blooms from deep lavender to baby pink as it changes pH levels with the addition of certain ingredients. Use an acid like lemon or lime juice for the lovely purple and a base like hibiscus flower or honey to see the pink! It’s no wonder the beautiful drink has been popular across the world for hundreds of years!
This fun, tie-dyed tea may look like a Jolly Rancher, but it’s flavor is deep, rich, and earthy like a quality green tea. If curling up by a fire with a good book had a taste, this would be it. If you’re already interested, it’s not widely available in physical stores, so check out this high-quality option from our site. If you still need some convincing, read on!
We know we’ve made some big claims, so let’s go ahead and break these benefits down... With science!
10 Health Benefits of Butterfly
1) Anti-aging- Over time, our bodies take in and metabolize a lot of oxygen, leading to cell oxidation and the inundation of something called “free radicals” into the body. These tricky little byproducts are linked to causing diseases and increasing aging effects. Not something anyone wants in their body! Butterfly pea powder is loaded with antioxidants- the kind that fight off these free radicals, slowing down aging at its cause. This gorgeous tea naturally prevents aging, so get to drinking!
2) Anti-inflammatory- Butterfly Pea powder has been renowned for years in the field of Ayurvedic medicine for its limitless uses, and a study published in the Journal of Pharmacy only proved these uses are still relevant today.
In a study determining the effectiveness of a butterfly pea powder solution, researchers discovered that it can “significantly reduce body temperature” when the subject is suffering from a fever. This low-calorie, high-benefit drink may just be the answer if you’re not one to turn to lab-made pharmaceuticals at the first sign of illness.
3) Boosts Immune System- Solutions of this powerful plant were also tested against an array of bacteria and proved to fight against common bacteria when ingested regularly.
This tea is a try health must for those long winter months when everyone seems to be full of snot and sniffles. Drink up and give your immune system some help fighting off those nasty bacteria!
4) Keeps Skin Clear and Glowing- With its natural anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, this elixir not only prevents signs of aging, but fights off the bacteria and inflammation that cause acne and uneven complexion!
5) Boosts Metabolism- A healthy, active metabolism is vital for fighting off excess weight gain and for losing those last stubborn pounds. If you’re feeling a discouraging plateau in your health journey, your metabolism might just need a proper boost to burn a few more calories!
--Dr. Irina Radosevic
It’s well known that green tea can help give your metabolism a leg up, but butterfly pea tea is even more powerful in this regard! It contains loads of potent antioxidants called catechins.
There are different types of these catechins, but the one to look out for is EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) because it is proven to support and enliven our metabolism! Green tea has some of these properties, but the oxidation process used in harvesting and drying can damage those effects. If you’re looking out for your metabolism, grab the blue tea, not the green!
6) Reduces Disease-causing Fat- Because this tea targets your metabolism to increase calories burned overall, it also aids in getting rid of fat. But there is more than one type of fat!
Subcutaneous fat is held under the surface of the skin, which is what adds pant sizes and can be seen and felt on the outside of the body.However, the more dangerous and disease-causing fat lies inside your body. This is called visceral fat, it pads the space between your organs, and is what leads to diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure among other health issues. It's easiest to "see" this fat in older men who are overall slim but have a prominent "beer belly."
Butterfly pea tea targets that visceral fat and works to get rid of it, meaning over time, this tea packs a punch when it comes to health benefits! Of course, it works best when paired with eating well and exercise and is not a cure for those diseases, but maintaining a healthy lifestyle and adding in Butterfly tea will help knock out that visceral fat better than just cutting back on pizza and sweets.
10) Helps Regulate Blood Sugar- Is there nothing this miracle tea can’t do? In a study published in the Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, butterfly pea powder proved to reduce and even stabilize levels of blood glucose concentration.
We would never suggest this be your only treatment of diabetes, but for those looking to regulate their blood sugar through dietary means, this tea would be a wonderful addition to your routine!
How to Use Butterfly Tea
The benefits of butterfly pea tea are many, and we didn’t even touch on them all here! So what is the best way to use it? It’s as simple as heating up water, adding in the tea, letting it steep, and enjoying!
For more in depth recipes and creative ways to use the color changing properties, check out this blog or the video below.
Where to Buy Butterfly Tea
If you’ve stuck around this long, we won’t make you scroll all the way to the top. Butterfly tea is not yet widely sold in stores, but there are many options online! The most important thing to look for is quality ingredients for the most potent benefits. Our butterfly blend is sourced with the highest quality ingredients in comparison to its competitors!
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter and get 10% off your first purchase