Health Benefits of Coconut Oil & How It's Changing the World
Coconut oil is considered a “super food” that is very under-utilized in the country. Honestly, I didn’t know much about it up until a couple years ago, but since learning about all of its uses and benefits, I’ve incorporated coconut oil into my daily health regimen.
To this day, research continues to find amazingly resourceful ways to have coconut oil changing lives. From weight loss, reduced cravings, helping your heart, boosting energy and so many more beneficial results from using this “healthy” fat on a daily basis.
Here Are Some Important Facts You May Not Know About Coconut Oil:
- Boosts your thyroid (cooking with coconut oil instead of canola or vegetable can literally impact your health in phenomenal ways!)
- Protects and enhances your skin (acts as a natural cleanser, moisturizing your skin while protecting your skin from harmful sun rays – YEP, natural SPF!)
- Detoxifying source
- Improves heart health
- Keeps you feeling fuller, longer
- Said to help prevent some types of cancers
- Can help you live longer
But in this article, I want to focus on how coconut oil can aid in weight loss and be your best beauty secret!
How Does Coconut Oil Aid in Weight-Loss?
- Speeds up your metabolism, which aids in burning calories faster
- Fills you up (because it’s a HEALTHY fat), which helps prevent over-eating
- Helps in the detoxification process and ridding excess waste from the body
- Helps burn fat (and since your body NEEDS fat to BURN fat) because coconuts are filled with nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and good calories. And as a medium-chain triglyceride type of fat, it allows you to use more caloric output towards physical activity. (So when you exercise, coconut oil enables you to burn more!)
- Can be used for cooking– instead of other oils (olive, vegetable, canola) or butter, substitute coconut oil for extra nutrients!
How Can Coconut Oil be Used As A Beauty Secret?
- Moisturizer– this is AHHHHmazing! Coconut oil can help wounds heal quicker (and minimize scars) while helping reduce the loss of water in extra dry skin. Not to mention coconut oil smells fresh and leaves your skin super nourished! Put it on after you use your favorite cleanser!
- Shaving substitute– It’s super hydrating and leaves your skin moisturized and silky!
- Facial cleanser– Many people use coconut oil as a nighttime treatment for faces and swear by it! Coconut oil carries antibacterial and anti-fungal abilities, all provided to your skin naturally! For facial cleaning, use a small amount of coconut oil in your hand, rubbing onto your face and neck in a circular motion, then rinse with warm water!
- Hair– YES, coconut oil can be used as a deep conditioning treatment to leave your hair silky smooth! Coconut oil hydrates your hair and can prevent future damage to it, by simply using a quarter-sized amount to your hair, combing it through completely, wrapping into a loose bun and letting it sit overnight. (Do so by putting a shower cap over your hair or keeping a towel over your pillow.) When you shower in the morning, shampoo as normal and go about your day!
How Much Coconut Oil Should Be Consumed Daily?
This all depends on each person’s individual needs, goals and preferences. I like to stick to one tablespoon a day, sometimes spread in smaller portions throughout the day depending on my meals. If I’m using it for cooking, I’ll use 1/4 tbs-1/2 tbs per meal, making sure I’m still only consuming 1 tbs a DAY. (This route, I use for sautéing or baking.) Some nutritional professionals recommend one serving prior to each meal, resulting in 3tbs a day (if you do three meals a day). If that’s what you’d like, that’s up to you! I prefer to stick to 1tbs, and I don’t prefer it eat it as is… Also note, coconut oil can be taken in capsule form instead of eating the oil itself!
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter and get 10% off your first purchase